Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fruit # 1 - LOVE

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have decided to write about one of the fruits of the spirit each week for the next nine (ish, I am not off to a great start) weeks.  This week's post is about love.

According to dictionary.com, love is: 

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. affectionate concern for the well-being of others.
4. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.

What do you think of when you think of the word "love?"  For me, when I first think of love, I think of the relationships that I have with my family and friends. I think of the overwhelming sense of love I feel from them and the feeling of love that wells up in my heart when I interact with them.  My second thought (which probably should have been my first) is about how much I am loved by God, my Creator.

Did you know that the only reason that we are able to love is because God first loved us?  That's right, according to 1John 4:19, "We love because He first loved us."  Isn't that a crazy thought.  Do you want to know what is even crazier?  This will give you a sense of just how much God loves us...John 3:16 says "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus), so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."  For those of you who have children, can you imagine giving your child over to death to save another person, much less someone who has wronged you as we wrong God everyday by sinning?  Yep, that is how wide, long, high, and deep God's love for us truly is. Mind-blowing isn't it?

So, how are we supposed to live this fruit of the spirit in our daily lives?  I think that 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 below sums it up quite nicely.  To exude love, we must be patient and kind in our dealings with others.  We must also humble ourselves and be thankful for who God made us instead of being envious of others.  We should do what is best for others instead of always doing what is best for us.  We should not let conflicts fester and root bitterness in our soul. And, we should always protect and trust the people we love. 

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

What are some simple ways you plan on showing LOVE this week?

1 comment:

  1. Great post Bethany...I plan on loving my nephew with lots of hugs, kisses, and silly faces this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete