Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A fruitful new year

I was sitting in church this past Sunday and Patrick, the head pastor of my church, said something about new year's resolutions.  I suddenly realized that I had not made any resolutions for the new year.  YIKES!  What's the point right?  It always seems like a great way to start the year, but by the end of January the resolution is either forgotten or completely trampled leaving you with a sense of failure.  Sitting there in church, I almost made a snap resolution like eating healthier, exercising more often, or reading my Bible more, but I decided that I did not want to make a fruitless resolution this year.  So, I let the moment pass.

In the last 24 hours I have been thinking a lot more about resolutions and goals for the new year and fruit came to mind.  Not the kind you eat, but a different kind.  Ultimately, as a Christian, not only my year goal, but my life goal is to become more like Christ. So, I had the idea to focus on and try to exhibit one of the "fruits of the Spirit" each day of this new year.

Galatians 5:22-23 says:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I'm not going to tell you which fruit I am going to focus on first, but I will periodically give you an update to let you know which one I am focused on and how the resolution is going.  I'm sure I'll fall off the wagon throughout the year, but my goal is to keep chasing the wagon down and jumping back on so that I can become more like Christ.  Keep your fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful resolution. Best wishes for a successful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. howdy and welcome to the blog world!!!

    ReplyDelete